Friday, March 6, 2009

Parts of an Andorian Costume: The Face

Wig: White Cosplay wig bought off eBay.
Skin: Paradise Makeup AQ Professional Size 40gm Lt-Blue. It's Perfect! I initially just purchased smaller refills, but once I knew it was the correct colour I purchased the larger size. This was from the wonderful www.stagemakeup.com.au

Lips: I purchased a light blue StarGazer lipstick off eBay, and then also decided to get a white lipstick for a base, and then LipCote lipstick sealer from eBay to 'seal' the lipstick

Eyes/Cheeks: I simply went to my local chemist and bought three shades of blue eyeshadow, a blue eyeliner and blue mascara (although I think I will be using black on the day). I also bought some Blue pigment (MAC) from eBay as this can be made into almost anything. This will allow me to shade and lighten areas of my face, rather than a matte colour.

Hands: This should be in the body, but I forgot. I realised that gloves don't give you nails. So I went and bought one of those 'DIY Acrylic Nails" sets and painted them dark blue with polish bought from the chemist. I will then stick them on, and you have nails!

Eyeballs This costume has simply kept evolving as I think of new minute details that I could do. I walked past a stand selling contact lenses (the ones where you can change your eye colour or even put patterns on your eye). I couldn't remember what colour Andorians are so I rang my dad. We thought white or sky blue, turns out closer to black. So I bought Black contacts, which will make me look like I have no pupil and my entire eye is black. This can look very freaky when your dressed normally, but I have a feeling this might just be the final icing on the cake to make me look truly alien.

And for your viewing pleasure (remembering I woke up suprised to find my facemakup, and only put the face makeup, none of the other shades or parts, and even then it was patchy) Here is a photo to give you an idea.
Stay tuned for my final dress rehearsal! Convention is at the beginning of April and all I need is a makeup brush, contact solution and my dad to put the computer stuff inside the tricorder bag.

I'm not proud of this picture as it doesn't show how awesome it really can be.

4 comments:

  1. We ordered the Paradise Makeup AQ Light Blue based on this blog (we also ordered the tights that you mention), and we agree that they are both the perfect color! We did notice when she tested the makeup that it is easily smeared by tears (she was laughing hard at my startled reaction when I came home to find her being unexpectedly blue). Did you do anything to keep your makeup from running like that or have any advice? The only thing I know of to try is a "finisher," which I'll have to look into more. It would be nice to be able to "degloss" the makeup so that camera flashes don't completely blow it out, too.
    Thanks again for the helpful info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad the color I used for the makeup and tights worked so well for you. I had to buy a few different shades- so anyway I can help others not waste money is great! It does run with tears- or in my case when I went to the convention, sweat as well as tears from my eyes being irritated by the contacts. I never wore the makeup again in a hot environment like that. I did talk to a few people at the convention about how they were keeping their makeup on, and they talked about a finisher or sealer. Actors often have to wear this makeup and are under hot lights, so they apparently have sealers or similar possibly. As for the camera flashes, i was pretty happy with it, as it made my skin look more even and removed a lot of glaring problems from the sweat, in the photos. but each to his own. I'm really glad this has helped you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh just p.s. for any future readers here- in this photo the makeup was on soooooooo light, thats why it looks this way compared to my other photos on this blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I missed that section above where you mentioned the contacts and runny nose giving you problems! Sorry to hear that! She'll only be wearing this to my friend's annual Halloween party, but that can get pretty warm as well! I'll let you know how it works out if we use a sealer or something similar, if you want! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete