Friday, March 6, 2009

Parts of an Andorian Costume: The Body

My Andorian is a Starfleet Original Series Andorian. These are the costume pieces I used

Shoes: Knee High Boots that are basically shaped and appropriate
Dress: Custom-made Starfleet Red Mini-Dress from eBay cosplaying is the username I think. Definitely recommend them, as their materials are quality. I think they do two types, so you need to make sure you get the right one. The other dress is pretty crap and is this thin silky synthetic material, whereas the good one is thick cotton style, with the accurate neckline.


How to get blue skin?


The consideration of blue skin is what to use, and how do I keep my thighs and hands (the parts that will be touching stuff) from rubbing off when I sit down. After much consideration and searching, I found www.welovecolors.com . This website is insane. The idea is that I would get the proper coloured stockings for Andorian skin, and the site is the only one that allows you to get matching coloured gloves. Perfect. For the stockings, which must be completely opaque, I used "Nylon/Lycra MicroFiber Solid Color Tights" in Sky Blue. The site offers around 50 shades so it is perfect for finding the colour you need for your cosplay.

The gloves:
The gloves were a bit trickier. The first pair I bought from the site were way too loose on my hands, very obvious they were gloves and they looked really bad. (I will upload a photo later). These were "Solid Color Nylon Gloves" in S/M.

So next I tried "
Solid Color Nylon Kids Gloves" but they cut off circulation, even being the large kid size. With this order I also purchased another set of stockings, in preperation for 'oh no I have a hole' during the convention.


The final order was two different types of gloves. "Shoulder Gloves" and "Solid Color Wrist Gloves" in the onesizefitsall. They are both very acceptable. However, the wrist gloves were slightly loose around the wrist, while because the opera length didn't finish until my elbow, they were very skin-tight when I moved my hand.



Tricorder
: This is the part that holds the motherboard and batteries for the moving antennae. The wire is threaded down the strap from the back of your head, and all the stuff is inside the tricorder. We are getting the Diamond Select new tricorder thats coming out soon, however this is not in time for the convention. My mother has a handbag that is so close to looking like a tricorder carrybag, we used that. But not after some drama of having to search through the household bin to find it, after she chucked it out because it broke. The night before the garbage truck came. So lucky! I will upload photos of this later too. The advantage of this, is my dad is going to case the computerchip and power inside a tupperware container or something, so I can use the rest of the space for the 'extras' like money, touch up makeup etc.

5 comments:

  1. So, my friend is looking at making an andorian costume and really likes your antennae. How did you make them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. check out the links on the side bar...as much detail as I can give is in there. If you want more specific details after reading that, comment and ask... I may have forgotten something that you can make me remember.

    At lot of the outcome is also up to being good with your hands, and my dad is really skilled at artistic projects. He's a perfectionist

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. YOU ARE A LIFESAVER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, this list still leaves you a little bit on your own to find stuff, but welovecolors is a life saver of a website for things like this! I'm glad that people are still finding this years later. There seems to be more resources on the net now than 4 years ago- when i couldn't find any real help except for a few photos on google image of other people who have dressed up like this

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where on earth did you get your gloves? Did you gloves perfectly match the colour of your skin? Your post is so awesome and so helpful! I plan to go all out for Halloween this year!!!

    ReplyDelete